Zip Code: 70119
Relationship With New Orleans:
• NOLA Convert
The PHOENIX OF NEW ORLEANS is a federally recognized 501© 3 non-profit organization devoted to the rebuilding and recovery effort of the Lower Mid-City neighborhood in Orleans Parish.
Where We Rebuild:
PNOLA’s projects mainly occur within the Lower-Mid City district of the 70119 area code. However, we regularly work on cases outside of the immediate area. Please call our Case Intake Manager at (504) 208 – 4821 if you need assistance. You can also stop by our office at 2307 Bienville St., New Orleans, LA 70119. Our office hours are Monday through Thursday from 9am – 5pm, Fridays from 9am – 2pm.
Founded by Tulane University medical student Paul Ikemire as a rapid response to the decimating affect of the storm and flooding, the organization was created when Ikemire and his neighbors came together to form a governing board and recruit volunteers. Their first mission was to assist in the arduous process of gutting and rebuilding their 120-block community.
In early 2006, PNOLA received its non-profit designation and was able to help restore neighborhood services and assist residents with a variety of disaster-related issues. Shortly afterwards, PNOLA’s headquarters was established in the heart of Lower Mid-City and by March, it was in a position to accept its first group of Americorps-sponsored volunteers.
Over the next several months, the PNOLA board members along with its AmeriCorps staff recruited hundreds of short-term volunteers. By the year’s end, it had worked together to gut and start rebuilding over 50 homes.
Now in our fourth year of operation, PNOLA has:
• Recruited 3,800 volunteers from across the U.S., contributing more that 72,000 hours of service.
• Gutted 200 properties (including 5 churches, a fire station, and one school).
• Performed 73 complete and partial home rebuilding projects.
• Generated more than 73,000 AmeriCorps service hours.
• Saved homeowners over $2,000,000 in labor costs.
• Raised $150,000 in project funding for homeowners.
• Planted over 100 trees and cleaned 6 parks/community spaces.
• Helped to build 8 playgrounds with KaBOOM!
This year our goal is to rebuild 45 houses. Help us make it happen! Right now we’re competing in Razoo’s March Goodness Competition. Just go to http://www.razoo.com/story/Mg2010-South-Phoenix-Of-New-Orleans to check us out and donate $10 to help us get a chance to win $10,000!